Wednesday, July 5, 2017

THE INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP

Today is the first Wednesday in July, and you know what that means.


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

The founder of the IWSG is the Awesome Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh.

His awesome co-hosts for the July 5 posting of the IWSG are Tamara Narayan, Pat Hatt, Patricia Lynne, Juneta Key, and Doreen McGettigan!

Be sure to visit the Insecure Writer's Support Group Website

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. Remember, the question is optional!!!

July 5th question:

What is one valuable lesson you've learned since you started writing?

Good question.

The first one that comes to my mind is patience. I tend to want everything done right now. In writing, that does not happen, as you well know. I write and write and think I'll never finish. Patience.  

Next, I ask my wonderful, kind, understanding critique friends to read the thing and tell me what it needs. Patience.

After I go back trough the story, reading their comments and making changes, I write a query letter and send my story to the perfect publisher. Patience. 

When the reply comes, with a contract, I shout "Yippee!" My book will soon be out. Patience.

(When I receive a polite "no thanks" instead of a contract, I send it out again.) Patience.

After an acceptance, come the edits, edits, edits. Do they ever end. Patience.

Months, or even years later, I can hold my book in my hands. Patience.

Wait for reviews. Wait for readers' comments. Patience.



Happy reading.
Remember, the word is patience.

18 comments:

  1. As my mother used to say Beverly "Patience is a virtue". Loved the post.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great saying, Yvonne. So true. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, to say we need patience as a writer is an understatement. Every step of the way we must wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Natalie. Waiting is part of life.

      Delete
  3. Patience is the key to surviving this journey, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience sure comes with it, not that I have a lot of it lol but it is needed indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my patience is sometimes lost, Pat. Eventually, I find it.

      Delete
  5. Patience because it's all about hurry up and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patience is a big one for me, too. I'm an Aries. I can't help it! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, blame it on your sign, Chrys. Good idea.

      Delete
  7. I always say the term "hurry up and wait" was invented by writers. The publishing industry can be SO frustrating at times! You'd think we'd all get better at waiting over time, but nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably was, Stephanie. Writers sure do a lot of it. I doubt there is any "getting better at waiting."

      Delete
  8. Patience is indeed a virtue that fewer and fewer people possess these days.

    www.ficklemillennial.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Gina. My patience isn't always the best. :)

      Delete