Wednesday, August 2, 2017

AUGUST INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP

A new month. A new IWSG.

Yes, it's that time.
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time
Be sure to link to this page and put the badge on your post.

Awesome Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG.

His awesome co-hosts for the August 2 posting of the IWSG are Christine Rains, Dolarah @ Book Lover, Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor, Yvonne Ventresca, and LG Keltner!

We have a question every month, which is optional for you to answer or not.

August's question is: 

What are your pet peeves when reading/writing/editing?

Reading:

A scene that has too much detail that isn't necessary to the plot. Like, she wakes up in the morning, fine. But do we need to know that she yawns, scratches her head, how she puts on her makeup and chooses her clothes? Yes, if the details add to the plot. No, if they aren't necessary.

Writing:

Thinking my chapter is just right until I read it back and discover it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Editing:

Commas. Enough said.

Happy Reading and Writing.


22 comments:

  1. Yes, it's annoying when something you write looks so good and then you realize the problems when you look at it again with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it's back to the drawing board to fix. :)
      Thanks for stopping by, Natalie.

      Delete
  2. LOL - I should've said commas. So many writers overuse them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like editing at all, I find I still make mistakes after editing.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Yvonne. Where do those silly mistakes come from?

      Delete
  4. Darn those commas. Yeah, too much description can sure be off putting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ought to do away with commas, Pat, then there would not be a problem.

      Delete
  5. Excess detail and descriptions drive me crazy. That was my answer today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a writer and editor, I strive to cut out unnecessary details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bev :)

    Yeah, I don't like it either when an author fills in a lack of action with useless details of "movement".

    I'm a better writer in my head than on paper, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha,ha, Dolorah. I know what you mean. It sounds so good when I'm thinking about it, but somehow doesn't look the same when I type it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. It's funny--I read another IWSG post that said not enough description bothered her. I'm in your camp...I prefer minimal description. Just toss me into the story and let's get things going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that just shows that we're all different, Stephanie. Get to the action. I agree.

      Delete
  9. I'm notorious for putting too much description in my scenes, which is why I'm always having to change them! And you're spot on regarding the commas! Thanks for co-hosting this month's IWSG and have a great day! Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But sometimes we just want to show what everything looks like. :)I hear what you're saying. As for commas, who invented them, anyway.

      Delete
  10. It,s easy to do, lilicasplace. We want to be sure the reader gets the picture so we give them all the details that they can figure out for themselves. A great day to you. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confused as usual. I just answered twice. Break time is needed. :)

      Delete
  11. I can relate to commas! :) I like details and descriptions when I read- but not too many where I want to skim instead of read. It's a balance!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commas ought to be outlawed, in my opinion, Jess.
      You're right, not too many, but enough.

      Delete